A longtime collector of all things vintage, Richard Wainwright founded A Current Affair, a pop-up marketplace where more than 70 top vintage retailers and private dealers present relevant and trend-driven collections. A Current Affair takes place seasonally in Los Angeles, Brooklyn and the San Francisco Bay Area. Additionally, Richard founded and produces the sister event, Pickwick Vintage Show in Burbank, California.
In 2018, Richard opened his first permanent retail shop, ARCADE, a vintage store in Brooklyn featuring collections from a rotating mix of 15 vintage sellers from across the United States. He also runs a vintage showroom in Los Angeles, NEW/FOUND, which caters to the design community and retail customers alike.
Richard holds an A.A. in Fashion Marketing and Merchandising from Fashion Institute of Technology, and a B.A. in History of Art from the University of California, Berkeley.
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- How A Current Affair got started, when and where it’s held, and what’s in store for the future.
- Why Richard’s shows have continued to grow and the importance he places on offering special items and experiences.
- What Richard looks for in a potential exhibitor.
- How A Current Affair attracts a broad cross-section of customers, including retail customers, designers, stylists and costume designers.
- What types of pieces his ARCADE and NEW/FOUND retail outlets offer customers.
- A Current Affair Website
- Pickwick Vintage Show Website
- A Current Affair 2019 fall show dates:
- Los Angeles: September 21st and 22nd
- New York: October 12th and 13th
- San Francisco: November 2nd