The Rise of Contemporary Studio Jewelry with Lisa Berman, Owner of Sculpture To Wear Gallery & Berman Arts Agency
Lisa Berman* is an internationally recognized “Ambassador of Wearable Art.” Based in Southern California, her expertise extends to major manufacturing and retail markets, museums and corporations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Asia and Europe.
Lisa is the owner of the iconic gallery Sculpture to Wear, which was instrumental in launching the studio jewelry movement in the United States. The gallery offers an eclectic array of art, jewelry and unique objects to discerning collectors, media producers and institutions, which have been featured in film, television and publications.
Her recently launched Berman Arts Agency offers artist representation, career management, corporate acquisition, sponsorship advisement, museum placement, exhibition curation and education services on the disciplines of fine art, jewelry, design and fashion.
Lisa holds degrees in Plastics Manufacturing Technology from California State University Long Beach, Product & Jewelry Design from Otis College of Art & Design and Merchandising/Marketing from Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM). She has served on the Board of Governors for OTIS College of Art & Design; as Public Relations Chair for the Textile and Costume Council at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA); and on the Museum Collection Board at FIDM. She volunteers for Free Arts for Abused Children, STEAM projects and Art & Fashion Councils.
*No relation to host Sharon Berman
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- How Lisa introduced wearable art into major fashion magazines and helped it gain traction with the public.
- The history of Sculpture to Wear and how Lisa came to own the gallery.
- Why architects were some of the first people to buy art jewelry.
- The influence of Helen Drutt on art jewelry in the United States.
- The challenges that galleries are facing with new consumers.
- The process for collectors to donate or sell their collections to museums.
- The mission and current projects for Sculpture to Wear and Berman Arts Agency.