Jonathan Wahl is an artist and jeweler whose art ranges from drawing and sculpture to jewelry and the decorative arts. His work is exhibited both nationally and internationally, and is part of the permanent collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Houston Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Arts and Design in New York City. He has been featured or reviewed in publications as diverse as The New York Times, Art in America, The New Yorker, Architectural Digest, Oprah Magazine, W Jewelry, Philadelphia Inquirer, Metalsmith Magazine, Harper’s Bazaar and Advocate, among others.
Jonathan has been awarded the Louis Comfort Tiffany Emerging Artist Fellowship from the Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation, two New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowships and the Pennsylvania Society of Goldsmiths Award for “Outstanding Achievement.” In 2006, he was named one of the “Top 10 Jewelers to Watch” by W Jewelry.
He has served as the Director of the Jewelry Center at the 92nd Street Y since 1999 and has guided the Center’s growth to become the largest program of its kind in the nation and the oldest open studio in NYC.
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- Why Jonathan was originally planning on becoming a graphic designer and segued to become successful in jewelry.
- What inspires his work.
- How jewelry design and graphic design are connected.
- What is “bad” jewelry.
- Looking forward to New York Jewelry Week.
Ways to contact Jonathan and learn more about his work:
- Website: www.jonathanwahl.com
- Website: www.92y.org/jewelry
- Upcoming group show at Katonah Museum “Outrageous Ornament” curated by Jane Adlin: www.katonahmuseum.org/exhibitions/upcoming
- New York Jewelry Week and 92Y’s programming in conjunction with it.
- Jewelry Talks:
- ‘Made in NYC’ with Stellene Volandes editor of Town and Country Magazine, Nov 12, 7 pm
- ‘Influencers’ with Marion Fasel author of the Aventurine Tuesday, Nov 13, 7 pm
- Newest work: www.jonathanwahl.com/inverted-water
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jonathancwahl
- Instagram: @jonathancwahl/