Sold! Selling Your Jewelry at Auction with Gina D’Onofrio, Fine Jewelry Director at Heritage Auctions
With work in the retail, auction and manufacturing sectors of the jewelry industry since 1989, Gina D’Onofrio’s experience encompasses jewelry design and production, appraisals, buying and selling of contemporary, antique and period jewelry, sales and management.
Prior to joining Heritage Auctions, Gina operated an independent gemological laboratory, appraisal service and consulting firm, and has catered to private individuals, banks, trusts, non-profit organizations, insurance companies, legal firms and the jewelry trade in the greater Los Angeles area.
Gina received her Master Gemologist Appraiser® designation with the American Society of Appraisers. In addition, she was awarded the Certified Master Appraiser designation with the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers. In 2013, Gina received Los Angeles Magazine’s coveted “Best in LA” award for her jewelry appraisal services.
She conducts presentations and speeches about appraisal and jewelry related topics to private and corporate groups in the Los Angeles area. Gina served as Gems and Jewelry Education Chair for the American Society of Appraisers and is co-instructor for their Appraisal Report Writing for Insurance Coverage course.
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- What services auction houses provide and what fees are generally charged for those services.
- How reserve prices are determined based on the market history of similar pieces recently sold at auction.
- Why you should consider taking advantage of the auction process rather than taking your pieces to a dealer.
- Which auction sale options are available for pieces of different estimated values.
- The Asian market’s cultural views toward antique jewelry, and how these views have changed in recent years.
How to contact Gina D’Onofrio:
- Heritage Auctions Website: www.ha.com
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/ginadonofrio
- Instagram: @ginejewels
- Twitter: @AppraiseJewels