The Psychology of a Collector with Dr. Shirley Mueller, Collector of Chinese Export Porcelain & Author
Shirley Mueller is an internationally known collector and scholar of Chinese export porcelain who has written numerous articles on the subject. She has a background in neuroscience and examines different behavioral traits that characterize collectors.
In her recent book, Inside the Head of a Collector: Neuropsychological Forces at Play, Shirley introduces neuro and behavioral economics for collectors and art professionals to help them understand their own decision making. She also brings a unique collector’s perspective by providing insights for art dealers, collectors and museum professionals.
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- Shirley’s definition of what makes a collector.
- The psychology behind collecting art and jewelry, and why the social aspect of collecting is important.
- An overview of Shirley’s book, which examines: pleasure and pain, enhancing pleasure through understanding ourselves and collector experiences.
- Why collecting will always persist and remain relevant.
- Indiana University Academia
- Book: Inside a Collector’s Head: Neuropsychological Forces at Play
- Amazon Store